MacKichan Software Licenses
MacKichan Software offers a variety of licensing options, created to meet the needs of our customers around the world. For this purpose, our products use FlexLM® and Reprise Software® for fixed and floating (network) licenses.
Types of licenses
- Fixed licenses. The MacKichan Software End User License Agreement for a fixed license allows the user to install the software either:
- On one computer which multiple people can use, one at a time;
- On a single user's personal computers. A single user is allowed to install and use the software at home, at work, and on a laptop, as long as he is the only person using the software.
Note: These two cases are mutually exclusive. Read or print our End User License Agreement.
- Floating licenses. A floating license (sometimes called a
network or concurrent license) is a network license that can be used by
anyone in the licensing organization; it is limited by the total number of
licenses purchased. For example, if an organization buys ten floating
licenses, any person with access to the network can use the program; but, at
most ten people can use it simultaneously. Since floating licenses are
useful to more people, and are expected to be used more intensively than
fixed licenses, they cost more. Read or print a sample Floating
- Unlimited campus-wide site licenses.
Academic institutions can buy unlimited site licenses, which are
essentially an unlimited number of floating licenses. The license is
managed by software running on one or more servers, and the license
agreement says that these servers can be accessed only by those connected to
the institution, such as students, faculty and staff. Members of the
institution can run the programs at home, provided that they are able to
connect to the institution's servers. The price of an unlimited site
license is based on the size of the institution as measured by the total
enrollment (undergraduate and graduate). The number of those students who
will use the product is not a factor in the pricing of the site license. If
only one or two departments will use the license, purchasing multiple
floating licenses is usually more economical than purchasing a site license. Read or print a sample Site
- Time-limited licenses. All licenses-fixed, floating, and site licenses-are available at a reduced price for the period of a semester or a year. For example, this allows the economical purchase of licenses for a computer lab for a course based on Scientific Notebook.
Obtaining a software license
When first installed, each of our products-Scientific WorkPlace®, Scientific Word®, and Scientific Notebook®-is not fully functional. For full product functionality, the user must go through the activation process by going to Help - Activate.
The user of a floating or site license will be given a license file by the license administrator. The user of a fixed license must obtain a license file specific to his computer. The easiest way to obtain a license is on the web; It takes only a few seconds.